Chinese English dictionary
A highly customizable Chinese English dictionary
Our dictionary contains more than 41,000 entries. Each dictionary entry follows this pattern : traditional Chinese-simplified Chinese-pinyin-English. Pinyin is Chinese written in Western script. This Chinese English dictionary is highly customizable because it allows its users to enable/disable any dictionary field, highlight the search word and magnify Chinese characters. Give it a try by clicking "My Dictionary Preferences" below the dictionary search form.
How to use our this dictionary
- You can ask this dictionary to only return entries that exactly match the word being sought. To do so, select "whole word" from the match list.
- To look a word up in this dictionary, you can use Chinese (both simplified and traditional), English or pinyin.
- You don't have to select search field (English, pinyin or Chinese) : It's determined automatically.
- When using Pinyin, you must separate syllables with spaces. Tone numbers are not required unless you're looking for a word with a specific tone.
- The dictionary contains only isolated words. It doesn't have phrases or idioms. Look up only single words.
- Only the traditional version of characters is shown if the same as the simplified.
- Hanyu Pinyin is the only romanization system used. Wade-Giles, Yale or another system won't work.
- The dictionary entries are case-insensitive.
- Make sure your query is spelt correctly.
- An input string containing numbers will be treated as pinyin.
About our dictionary
This Chinese English dictionary is a searchable interface for the CEDICT dictionary. CEDICT (Chinese English DICTionary) was started by Paul Denisowski and is presently maintained by Erik E. Peterson. Searches can be conducted by Chinese (using either the GB, Big5, or Unicode encodings), Pinyin, or English. Search results display the Chinese word in traditional characters (along with simplified characters if different), the Pinyin (phonetic transcription) of the word (with audio), and the English meaning.